Sunday, May 4, 2008

Socks, Jumperoo, Duck and a Long Nap



Friday started out with a surprise package for Reagan from our lovely Kansas City hosts. They sent Reagan the cutest socks. Reagan has wanted these socks her whole life! Little did she know that the packaging would be just as fun.








That afternoon, Reagan took a three hour nap, which is almost unheard of for her. It gave me plenty of time to take pictures of her sleeping and getting her surprise ready.








I love that she always has a smile on her face when she wakes up.







While Reagan slept, I cleaned and disinfected her new jumperoo. I finally gave in to having a big toy in our house. I was originally opposed to have a jumperoo or exersaucer at our house for a couple of reasons about which I feel quite strongly. Here they are for you soon to be moms:




1) They are HUGE. I could barely get it in my car, much less from the car and up the stairs. Unless you plan to have kids back to back, your baby will eventually outgrow this toy and you will need a place to store it. Kim and Bryan ~ This one's coming over to your house when baby SnackPack arrives this winter along with the swing.




2) They get even bigger if you buy one with all the bells and whistles. Some of these have so many random things attached to the tray that it's very overwhelming for an infant. If you do buy one, try to find one with less toys. It is better for a baby to concentrate and figure out one toy for a span of time than to be presented with an abundance of options and only play with each one for a second or two. No wonder more kids today have attention disorders in school. The jumperoo that we got Reagan has toys that detach, which was a key selling feature. I can take the noisy ones off.




3) Although you would think exersaucers or jumperoos would develop the muscles babies need for walking, they are actually not helpful. Because these toys have trays around the babies middle, they can't see their legs and thus, don't realize that its their legs that cause the jumping or walking.




4) Jumperoos and Exersaucers are expensive! They range from $60 to $100. I found ours at Once Upon a Child for less than half that price and it looks brand new (minus one little spot of dirt that I wiped off during my disinfecting). For the few months that she will actually be using one, it wasn't worth the price to me.




That being said, Reagan also has become mobile much sooner than I had hoped and I don't feel comfortable leaving the room if she's moving all over the floor. We have yet to get a gate (maybe next weekend) and this provides some containment. Since she is also about to crawl before she can sit up, the jumperoo at least helps to strengthen her sitting muscles. So basically what I'm saying is that sometimes you have to do what's right for you even if it goes against your strongest reasons.





Figuring it all out.




Our feet don't quite reach the floor yet.





Checking out the structure.



Reagan finally got into it tonight with a little help from John. She was giggling hysterically as he helped her bounce!


Another recommendation I would make is for Munchkin's Inflatable Duckie Bathtub (Available at Target). A few of my friends recommended this to me and we finally went and got one this weekend. Reagan wanted so badly to sit up and splash in the tub, but her other bathtub wouldn't let her sit up enough. Our bathtub is so big and this duck will be perfect for her to use until she outgrows it. A word of warning, you do have to blow it up yourself. John blew a few times and then went to get an air pump.

No comments: